The Shopping Commandments
I am delighted to have recently teamed up with gift card company One4all to assist in their nationwide survey into our shopping habits!!
Well, the results were VERY interesting to say the least….. We’re a nation that loves a bit of retail therapy but 1 in 5 of us (22%) plan to turn over a new shopping leaf in 2015 apparently!! The survey into our spending habits reveals that stopping impulse buying is our number one shopping goal for the year followed by trying on items before buying and investing in more quality pieces.
Other key findings in the survey showed:
- 76% spend up to €100 on clothes every month
- 65% received up to four gift cards this Christmas
- 43% say they spend their gift card on themselves
- 92% say having a gift card to spend in the New Year helps stave off the January blues
- 72% say they think they are a savvy shopper
- Half admit to suffering from wardrobe envy (I think we all can relate to that one!!)
- Amy Huberman is the style icon we most admire
To help shoppers stick to their new years resolutions of shopping smarter, I teamed up with One4all to devise a list of “Style Commandments”
The Style Commandments
1. Thou shalt stick to the ‘Rule of Three’ – A new item you are purchasing MUST go with at least 3 other things in your wardrobe in order to justify its purchase
2. Thou shalt make a list before going shopping to avoid impulse buying. This is done by detoxing your wardrobe and assessing what gaps there are and what you need
3. Thou shalt plan ‘swap nights’ with your friends to swap/ share your clothes. A friend’s dress is as good as wearing a brand new dress! It’s new to you!!
4. Thou shalt not dive head first into the ‘next big trend’. Instead learn to be true to your own personal style and embrace only trends that suit you and your style
5. Thou shalt use your One4all wisely. Gift cards are guilt-free shopping. Spend it on that must-have item you have wanted for ages!
6. Thou shalt not buy in excess because “It Was On Sale” – This is not a valid reason!!
7. Thou shalt learn the value of quality versus quantity. It may be hard to part with the cash up front, but quality will stand the test of time
8. Thou shalt learn get better at returns. Bought something in store and now that you’re home you don’t like it? Return, Return, Return!
9. Thou shalt not try to combine EVERY trend into one look. Keep it simple and take a leaf from Madame Chanel’s book – Remove the last thing you put on
10. Thou shalt not ‘Occasion Shop’ – Freaking out the day before, or the day of, a big occasion – This only leads to impulse buying and excessive spending. Preparation and planning is key!
Now it’s just trying to remember all these the next time you go shopping 😉
Pick up a copy of today’s Evening Herald to read more about the survey results
To find out more about One4all visit their website here
‘Til next time