Jean Styles For Your Body Shape
Because we are all unique in our own way no two of us have the same body shape. Understanding our own shape helps us find out what clothes flatter us best.
In order to look your best it is not your size or shape that matters, but the fit of your clothes. That is why this blog aims to help give you get a better understanding of your own body shape and the type of jeans that help accentuate your good features. By doing that you will be able to dress in a way that really suits YOU!
There can be as many as 7 different body shapes which are widely discussed in the styling world but for the purpose of this blog I have focused on the 5 most common body shape categories.
We have also styled looks which feature jean styles that are tailored to suit you – Enjoy 🙂
- Full hips or thighs
- A defined waist
- Shoulders narrower than your hips
- A small top half as well as a small bust
- Aim to balance your top half with your bottom half by making your shoulders look broader
- Wear prints on top and plain materials on bottom
- Accentuate your smallest part, your waist
- Jean Style: Dark bootcut denims are best.
Outfit Idea: Pear
- Round shoulder line and flattish bottom
- Average to big bust
- Fullness around the middle
- Good legs
- Keep details above the bust line and below the hip line
- Draw attention to your shoulders to balance the middle
- Avoid skirts which are above knee length
- Jean Style: Simple denim styled in classic boot cut, wide leg or flares are best. Stick to clean lines without any extras. Opt for a draker jean colour.
Outfit Idea: Apple
3. Inverted Triangle
- Your bottom half is smaller than your top
- Little definition between waist and hips
- Flat hips and bottom
- straight and squared shoulder line
- On your bottom half you need to wear clothes that make your hips look broader
- Keep fussy prints and anything that adds volume to your lower half. Keep lines clean and uncluttered on your top half
- Create an illusion of a defined waist with a belt or some waist detail
- Jean Style: Boyfriend style, distressed, look, baggy or coloured jeans, details in hip and thigh area e.g. various washes, ripped, embellishments, flared, bootcut and turn ups.
Outfit Idea: Inverted Triangle
- Straight shoulder line and rib cage
- Straight hips and bottom
- Very little waist definition
- Average tummy
- Your main aim is to create an illusion of a waist
- Keep your silhouette uncluttered
- Hip and bottom details are good once they create gentle curves
- Avoid details at the waist such as a noticeable waistband
- Jean Style: Straight fit from the hip to teh knees with a slight flare (boot cut) looks great. Deatisl on your bum e.g. back pockets, embellishments work well.
Outfit Idea: Rectangle
- Bigger thighs
- Rounded bottom and hips
- Small waist
- A full bust
- Wear shaped and fitted lines that follow your body shape
- Avoid bulk and volume around your feminine curves
- Avoid straight lines that hide your waist
- Jean Style: Simple and clean styles such as classic bootcut or straight leg are best.
Outfit Idea: Hourglass
Jeans: New Look, €29.99 – Shop HERE
Top: River Island, €33 – Shop HERE
Belt: River Island, €29 – Shop HERE
Necklace: River Island, €17 – Shop HERE
Bag: New Look, €29.99 – Shop HERE
Shoes: Oasis, €47 – Shop HERE
Inspired by The Guide to Bodyshapes: Overview