Beauty: How to Contour
We are so delighted to have make up artist and brow expert Aimee O Farrell from The Beauty Game on our team as a guest blogger. Last month she talked us all through who to achieve the perfect brows, and what the top products you are. (Read that post here).
This month Aimee is talking contouring. Personally, I am totally clueless when it comes to contouring, and I am dying to improve my skills, so I was thrilled to hear the topic of this months post. Hope you enjoy, and if you have a specific beauty topic you want us to cover, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a comment below. It can be make up, brows, tan, nails, whatever you like! Enjoy, Naomi x
I came, I saw, I contoured
As a makeup artist working in the industry, I find one of the most commonly asked questions is “How do I contour?” So many women are now looking for the Kim Kardashian inspired look, achieved by highlighting and bronzing different areas of the face to create a chiselled look and if successful, give the illusion we have lost a few pounds!!
- Choose whether you want to use cream or powder contour. It is easier for a beginner to learn with powder as creams can be too heavy and not as natural looking.
- When you are choosing a contour shade, go for a shade two times darker than your own colouring. The same applies for the highlight colour. Go for a shade two times lighter than your colouring.
- Make sure your foundation base is clear and freshly applied; this will help create the finish you are looking for.
- An angled contour brush is essential to create the contoured look. My favourite one is this one and costs only €10.99!!
- Blend, Blend, Blend.. A little goes a long way!
- Using these tips, follow the diagram below:
- Brown = Dark powder contour
- White = Light powder contour
Top Products to Buy
Charlotte Tilbury “Filmstar Bronze & Glow” Face Sculpt & Highlight €65 Shop here
There is no doubt about it, this product truly is a treat but in my opinion, worth every penny. Like all Charlotte Tilbury make up items, it is exactly what you would expect and gives a fabulous, satin finish. Definitely worth the investment!
Smashbox Contour Kit, €44 Shop here
This product is a real favorite of mine. The set is easy to use and comes with a brush and a face booklet to help your distinguish what contour style will suit your face shape.
Seventeen Define and Conquer Contour Kit, €8.49 Shop here
This is a great set for anyone who is starting out contouring. It is so affordable and easy to use and will let you try out contouring without blowing your budget.
Finally, don’t forget to lash on your mascara, define your brows, pop on some lipstick to finish off this sexy, Kim Kardashian inspired look.
Aimee is a freelance make-up artist and brow expert. Aimee has serval years experience in the beauty industry and is currently Brow Bar manager in Benefit Cosmetics. She is qualified in make up, HD brows, spray tan, shellac and gelish. To make an appointment with Aimee or to see some of her previous work check out her Facebook page “The Beauty Game” here.
Getting married? Aimee specialises in wedding make up and is available now for trials.